Caricature of Dr Robert Cleghorn (1755-1821) (the shorter of the two men) and James Corkindale.
Cleghorn was a physician who was appointed Professor of Chemistry on the resignation Thomas Charles Hope in 1795. Cleghorn was a popular lecturer but did not conduct demonstrations and experiments, allowing the University's laboratories to fall into disuse. He famously designed a lightning conductor rod for the Justiciary Buildings at the foot of Saltmarket, but it was apparently quite useless.
Corkindale was the surgeon at the city's gaol and bridewell, a secretary to the Board of Health and a surgeon at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary for many of the years 1808-1822. He was an influential figure in the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
Reference: Sp Coll Mu Add. q17
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Chemistry, Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Justiciary Buildings, lightning conductors, physicians, professors, surgeons, University of Glasgow