A drawing of the monument to Zachary Boyd (1585?-1653) that was located in a niche above the archway in the Old College's inner court. The white marble bust was made in London and erected in 1658. The bust became quite black during the early 19th century, from exposure to the atmospheric pollution caused by smoke-belching industries in and around High Street, but when the University moved to Gilmorehill it was cleaned and put on display in the Hunterian Museum.
Zachary Boyd was the minister of Barony Church and served as a dean of faculty, rector and vice chancellor of the University. He bequeathed £20,000 to help meet the cost of new University buildings, with a smaller sum set aside to meet the maintenance expenses of three students of Divinity each year. The Boyd bursaries were later merged into one.
Reference: Sp Coll Mu Add. q17
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
archways, atmospheric pollution, Barony Church, benefactors, bursaries, busts, Divinity, Hunterian Museum, Inner Court, marble, ministers, Old College, rectors, sculptures, statues, University of Glasgow, vice chancellors