The outer court of the University of Glasgow, photographed from the Lion and Unicorn Staircase some time prior to 1870.
Part of the cloister supporting the High Street front is visible to the left, with the windows of the Fore (or Faculty) Hall and the dormers of the Divinity Hall above. The large door on the facing building led to the Hebrew classroom (ground floor) and the Professor of Divinity lived above.
The two windows to the right of the door belong to the Bellringers' Room, or Coal Hole.
Reference: Sp Coll Mu Add. q17
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Bellringers' Room, cloisters, Coal Hole, courtyards, Divinity Hall, Faculty Hall, Fore Hall, Hebrew, Lion and Unicorn Staircase, Old College, outer court, quadrangles, staircases, University of Glasgow