Glasgow's Burgh or Grammar School had been erected by 1460 in Grammar School Wynd, behind the west front of High Street opposite Blackfriars Church. It had become ruinous by 1600 and so this building was erected in its place, with funds including 400 marks bequeathed to the University of Glasgow by "Hary the porter of the College." The school moved to George Street in the late 1780s and again, to John Street, in 1821.
The Grammar School initially specialised in teaching Latin and Greek grammar, prose and composition. During the 1800s, however, the curriculum was expanded to include English, Mathematics, Chemistry and other subjects. In 1834 the Grammar School was renamed the High School.
Reference: Sp Coll Mu Add. q17
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Glasgow Grammar School, Glasgow High School, grammar schools, High School of Glasgow, wynds