Allan & Ferguson's views (1843) of the Clydesdale Bank in Queen Street, the House of Refuge in Duke Street and the Scottish Congregationalists' chapel (also known as Wardlaw's Independent Church and as the West George Street Independent Church), erected in 1819, sold to the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway Co in 1842 and demolished in 1975.
The House of Refuge opened in 1838, for boys charged with or convicted of crimes. Its objects were to provide the boys with "a good plain education, industrious habits and the knowledge of a trade", and thus discourage juvenile delinquency. A Girls' House of Refuge and Reformatory was opened soon afterwards in Parliamentary Road.
Reference: Sp Coll Bh12-y.14
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
banks, chapels, churches, Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway Co, Girls' House of Refuge and Reformatory, House of Refuge, juvenile delinquents, neds, reformatories, Scottish Congregationalists' Chapel, Wardlaw's Independent Church, West George Street Independent Church