A coloured cartoon from the Glasgow Looking Glass, 25 June 1825 showing visitors in all their finery at the Botanic Gardens.
The Botanic Gardens were opened at Sandyford in the increasingly fashionable West End in 1817. The cartoon's caption noted that:
"This fashionable place of resort has this season been more numerously attended than ever. We observe that additional grass walks have been added to the promenade ground, and the excellent Trumpet Band of the 5th Dragoons, we believe, will be in attendance on Saturday next. The splendid Cactus Speciosissimus which has been in flower for some time past, has given increased interest to the Houses."
Reference: Sp Coll Bh14-x.8
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Botanic Gardens, cactii, concerts, courting, fashions, flowers, girls, Glasgow Looking Glass, glasshouses, greenhouses, lithographs, Northern Looking Glass, promenaders, shrubs, soldiers, trees, women