W R Mainds' watercolour sketch of the houses which had stood at the eastern end of Rottenrow, but had apparently been demolished by the time the painting was published in 1891. The buildings once adjoined the "Auld Pedagogy", the house in which the students of the University of Glasgow lived and attended lectures for several years during the 1450s.
Reference: Sp Coll Bh12-x.3
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Auld Pedagogy, backcourts, houses, slum clearance, slums, stairways, University of Glasgow, women