W R Mainds' watercolour sketch of a backcourt off Prince's Street, 1891. Prince's Street was originally known as Gibson's Wynd when it was laid out between Saltmarket and King Street in the late 18th century. The area became one of Glasgow's most degraded slums during the 19th century. The City Improvement Trust demolished these buildings and swept away all traces of Prince's Street shortly after this view was completed.
Note the round stair tower - these were common features of 19th century Glasgow tenements, sometimes built of masonry but more commonly of brick.
Reference: Sp Coll Bh12-x.3
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
backcourts, City Improvement Trust, slum clearance, slums, stair towers, tenements, women, wynds