W R Mainds' watercolour sketch of the junction of High Street and St Nicholas Lane, 1891. There is a pawnshop above the pub on the right. The house opposite was the birthplace of the poet Thomas Campbell, the son of a Glasgow merchant.
Campbell was a graduate of the University of Glasgow who became one of Britain's most popular poets. He was the Lord Rector of the University of Glasgow 1826-1829 and he is the subject of a bronze statue in George Square erected by public subscription in 1871. After living for most of the last forty years of his life in the south of England, Campbell was buried in Westminster Abbey.
Reference: Sp Coll Bh12-x.3
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
crow-stepped gables, houses, lord rectors, pawnbrokers, pawnshops, poets, pubs, streetscenes, taverns, University of Glasgow