R D Mainds' watercolour sketch depicts a backcourt or possibly a wynd off Stockwell Street, 1891.
Once known as Fishergait, then Stockwellgait, Stockwell Street contained the mansions of many of the city's wealthy merchants in the 17th and early 18th centuries. However, many of the old mansions had been demolished or sub-divided and were crowded with poor tenants by the late 19th century, and the street lay at the heart of Glasgow's notorious city-centre slumland.
Reference: Sp Coll Bh12-x.3
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
chimneys, closes, mansions, slums, street lighting, streetscenes, tenements, wynds