A view of the Buchanan Street entrance to the Argyll Arcade, published c 1900.
The arcade was built in 1828 by the architect John Baird Snr for John Reid Robertson, with a second entrance on Argyle Street. By the 1840s there were sixty-three shops ranged along the glass-roofed L-shaped thoroughfare, selling a wide variety of luxury goods. The entrance was remodelled in 1962, and the arcade is today predominantly occupied by jewellers' shops.
Reference: Glasgow University Library Special Collections, e189
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
arcades, Argyll Arcade, entrances, etchings, jewellers, shopping, shops, streetscenes