The main entrance to the Old College on High Street, from the top of the Lion and Unicorn staircase in the Inner Court. The staircase was built in the 1690s.
This image by Edwin Law was published c 1900, some thirty years after the University moved to a new site at Gilmorehill. In 1872 the Lion and Unicorn Staircase was dismantled and re-erected there to provide an entrance to the west side of the main buildings from Professors' Square. It was remodelled in 1929.
Reference: Glasgow University Library Special Collections, e189
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
entrances, etchings, gateways, Inner Court, Lion and Unicorn Staircase, Old College, Professors' Square, staircases, University of Glasgow