An etching by Edwin Law showing Provand's Lordship in Castle Street c 1900.
Provand's Lordship was built in 1471 by Bishop Andrew Muirhead as part of St Nicholas' Hospital and is the oldest surviving house in Glasgow. The "lean-to" on the left of this view of the building (reputedly the home of Glasgow's hangman in the 1780s) has been demolished.
By 1900 the house was in a serious state of disrepair, but it was purchased and restored in 1906 by the Provand's Lordship Society and is now a museum.
Reference: Glasgow University Library Special Collections, e189
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
etchings, hangmen, houses, lean-tos, museums, Provand's Lordship, St Nicholas' Hospital