Edwin Law's impression of the Royal Exchange, looking west across Queen Street c 1900. The equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington (1844) stands in front. In recent times it has become rare to see the statue without a plastic traffic cone set atop the Duke's head.
The building was originally the home of the "Tobacco Lord" William Cuninghame and was converted by David Hamilton to house the Exchange, 1827-1832. Stirling's Library was relocated in the building from Miller Street in 1954.
Reference: Glasgow University Library Special Collections, e189
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Commercial Library, equestrian statues, etchings, Exchanges, libraries, Stirling's Library, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants, traffic cones