Three buildings identified by the artist Thomas Hopkirk in 1827 as those of the Gaelic, the New Light Seceders' and the Old Light Seceders' Churches.
Glasgow's first Gaelic-speaking church was established in Ingram Street in 1770. A Gaelic chapel of ease was opened in Duke Street in 1798. The churches were recognised by the Presbytery of the Church of Scotland.
The Secession Church was formed in 1733 and after a number of splits the two so-called New Licht (Light) Churches formed the United Secession Church (in 1820). Most of the Old Lichts rejoined the Church of Scotland in 1839.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Church of Scotland, churches, Gaelic Church, New Lichts, New Light Secession Church, Old Lichts, Old Light Secession Church, United Secession Church