The Knox Monument on Fir Park, drawn by James Hopkirk in 1827.
The 12-feet high stone statue in honour of John Knox (1513-1572), the great Protestant reformer and preacher, was paid for by public subscription. Designed by William Warren and carved by Robert Forrest, it stands at the highest point in the park on a Greek Doric column designed by Thomas Hamilton.
After the Necropolis was opened in the Fir Park in 1833, the most highly sought-after burial plots were those closest to the monument.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
cemeteries, columns, Fir Park, Knox Monument, monuments, Necropolis, statues