James Hopkirk's drawing of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, 1827.
The Royal was designed by Robert Adam and completed (under the direction of his brother James) in 1794. The building was erected on the site of the old Bishop's Castle. Beneath the huge dome was an operating room which could hold 200 students.
The Royal was extended on many occasions during the 19th century before it was demolished and entirely rebuilt 1907-1914.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, domes, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, hospitals, operating theatres