The Barony Church in Castle Street, with the Cathedral in the background, 1827.
The church was built 1793-1800 by John Robertson to a design by R & J Adam. The Barony congregation was able to move from the Cathedral to the new building in 1798. The building's design did not meet with universal approval and Queen Victoria's chaplain Dr Norman Macleod (minister of the Barony Church, 1851-1872) described it as "the ugliest kirk in all Europe."
In 1890 a new Barony Church was built on the west side of Castle Street.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Barony Church, churches, Glasgow Cathedral