A plan of the Botanic Gardens at Sandyford off Sauchiehall Street, 1827.
The gardens were laid out on about 8 acres of land in 1817 by Thomas Hopkirk with the support of William Hooker, Professor of Botany at the University of Glasgow, and a number of wealthy patrons. In 1819 the Royal Botanic Society of Glasgow was formed and more funds were raised to develop the collections of plants.
The westward expansion of the city persuaded the members to relocate the gardens in 1839. Land was acquired on the banks of the River Kelvin off Great Western Road. The new Botanic Gardens opened there in 1842.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Botanic Gardens, gardens, maps, plans, Royal Botanic Society of Glasgow