Cranstonhill Waterworks at Dalmarnock in 1827.
The Cranstonhill Water Works Co was established in 1808, taking water from the River Clyde at Anderston Quay and pumping it to a reservoir at Cranstonhill and on to consumers in the city's West End. In 1819, however, the levels of pollution down-stream from the city centre had become so serious that the company relocated its waterworks further up-river at Dalmarnock.
In 1838 the company merged with the Glasgow Waterworks Co, which was founded in 1806 and was also located at Dalmarnock.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Cranstonhill Water Works Co, Glasgow Water Works Co, river pollution, water supply, waterworks