The riverside at Anderston, 1827.
The Verreville Pottery (established in 1777) is on the left of this drawing by James Hopkirk. In the centre is the seven storey brick building housing Henry Houldsworth & Co's Anderston Cotton Work (1804). To the right and in the foreground is David Napier's Lancefield engine works and shipyard.
In 1821 Napier moved his engine works from Camlachie to Lancefield where he became the first Glasgow engineer to build ships as well as marine engines. There are two early paddle steamers and a sailing boat in the foreground of the drawing.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Anderston Cotton Works, cotton manufacturers, cotton works, Henry Houldsworth & Co, Lancefield Engine Works, Lancefield Shipyard, marine engineering, marine engineers, paddle steamers, potteries, sailing boats, ships, shipyards, steam-powered cotton spinning mills, steamships, textile manufacturing, textiles, Verreville Pottery