A slip dock on the River Clyde, 1827.
The earliest boat repair facilities on the upper reaches of the river required hauling the vessel from the water on to slips such as this one. Although there were drydocks at Greenock and Port Glasgow, it was not until 1858 that Tod & MacGregor opened one up-river at Meadowside.
This repair slip may be Robert Barclay's at Stobcross, opened in 1820.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Barclay, Curle & Co, boats, drydocks, repair slips, sailing boats