James Hopkirk's view of 1827 of the first granary erected at Port Dundas. A forest of boat masts is visible in the the canal basin in the background.
Before the coming of the railways and the deepening of the River Clyde, much of Glasgow's grain was brought into the city along the Forth and Clyde Canal to Port Dundas. Several large granaries were built at the canal terminus there to store the grain until it could be distributed to local grain merchants.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
boats, canal basins, canals, granaries, sailing boats