The Glasgow Royal Lunatic Asylum in Parliamentary Road, 1827.
The Glasgow Lunatic Asylum was designed by William Stark (1770-1813) and completed in 1814. In 1824 it was granted a royal charter and became the Glasgow Royal Lunatic Asylum. In 1843 the asylum moved to new buildings at Gartnavel to the west of the city. The old buildings were converted to accomodate the City Poorhouse and were demolished in 1910.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
City Poorhouse, gardeners, gardening, gardens, Glasgow Lunatic Asylum, Glasgow Royal Lunatic Asylum, haying, haymaking, mental health