James Hopkirk's view from the north of the Monkland Canal basin at Castle Street. Glasgow Cathedral, the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the Knox Monument are in the distance on the left of the picture.
The Monkland Canal was opened from Monklands to Riddrie in 1773 and then to Blackhill in the 1780s when this basin was built.
The large distinctive building on the right is the Glasgow Lunatic Asylum on Dobbie's Loan, designed by the architect William Stark (1770-1813) and built 1810-1814.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
asylums, canal basins, canals, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Lunatic Asylum, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Knox Monument, Monkland Canal, sailing boats