The former Glasgow Savings Bank headquarters building in Ingram Street, photographed in 2004. The name of the new owner, Jigsaw, is at the top of the doorway. Above the doorway is a statue of Saint Mungo and other sculptures designed by George Frampton and carved by William Shirreffs. The prominent dome covers the former banking hall.
Built in the 1890s to the plans of architect J J Burnet, the single-storey banking hall was added to the front of the existing Glasgow Savings Bank which had been designed by his father John Burnet and erected thirty years earlier. It is built to a Baroque-inspired design, with fine ornate ironwork in the main doors.
Founded in 1836, the Glasgow Savings Bank grew to be the largest of its type in the country. Various amalgamations resulted in its network of branches being included in the West of Scotland Trustee Savings Bank in 1974 and TSB Scotland in 1983. Following a stock exchange flotation in 1986, it became TSB Bank Scotland plc in 1989 and merged with Lloyds Bank in 1995.
Lloyds TSB Group quit the building in 1999. It remained unoccupied until the summer of 2002 when Emporio Armani opened a fashion showroom. Since 2003 it has been occupied by the Jigsaw fashion chain.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 34
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, Baroque, domes, Emporio Armani, fashion stores, Glasgow Savings Bank, ironwork, Jigsaw, Lloyds TSB Group, sculptures, shops, statues, Trustee Savings Bank, TSB Bank Scotland, West of Scotland Trustee Savings Bank