A refurbished warehouse at the corner of Ingram Street and Brunswick Street in the Merchant City, photographed in 2004. The building forms the north-west corner of what is now known as Ingram Square.
The original Baronial-style warehouse, designed by John Baird and Robert Billings, dates from 1854. The building was converted for flats by the architects Elder & Cannon in the 1980s and was one of the first major projects aimed at revitalising the area: in twenty years, the Merchant City has been transformed from an area of mainly disused commercial property into one of the most fashionable districts of Glasgow.
Elder & Cannon was formed in 1980 by Tom Elder and Dick Cannon, who had previously taught at the Mackintosh School of Architecture. The Ingram Square project was one of their first major commissions, and was highly praised on its completion in 1989. The firm's ability to harmonise new buildings with more traditional surroundings has led to their involvement in a number of award-winning projects since then, including St Aloysius Primary School and the Icon Building.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 32
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, Baronial, Elder & Cannon, flats, Icon Building, Mackintosh School of Architecture, St Aloysius Primary School, tenements, urban regeneration, warehouses