The entrance to the headquarters of Strathclyde Police, photographed in 2004.
The building was erected in 1934 as Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College, later the Scottish College of Commerce. In 1964 the Scottish College of Commerce combined with the Royal College of Science and Technology to form the University of Strathclyde.
Strathclyde Police came into being along with Strathclyde Regional Council as part of local government reorganisation in 1975 and incorporated the City of Glasgow Police. At a further reorganisation of local government in 1996, the twelve unitary authorities that replaced Strathclyde Regional Council agreed to retain Strathclyde Police in its existing constitution. With approximately 7,300 police officers and 2,200 support staff, it is Scotland's largest police force.
The headquarters building houses Strathclyde Police Museum, which tells the story of the Force's history from the beginning of the City of Glasgow Police in 1800 to the present day Strathclyde Police. Strathclyde Police has a policy of depositing all of its surviving records, including those of its former constabularies, with Glasgow City Archives, located in the Mitchell Library.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 24
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
City of Glasgow Police, Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College, Glasgow City Archives, Mitchell Library, Scottish College of Commerce, Strathclyde Police, Strathclyde Police Museum, University of Strathclyde