The entrance to the headquarters of SMG plc, photographed in 2004. It is sited on the axis of Renfield Street and acts as the main entrance linking the new building to the existing studio complex. The south cladding of the main entrance tower is constructed of clear, curved glass. A blank lift wall behind the glazing acts as a media wall, projecting images down the entire length of Renfield Street.
SMG has its roots in Scottish Television, which started broadcasting from the adjacent Theatre Royal in 1957. The original studio complex has been developed and extended on adjoining land at Cowcaddens. In 1997 Scottish Television changed its name to Scottish Media Group following its move into newspaper publishing. In 1998 Building Design Partnership was commissioned to design a new office building of 52,000 square feet to accommodate new multimedia services, linked to the existing complex.
The group became SMG in 2000. In 2003 SMG sold its publishing interests, the Herald, Sunday Herald and Evening Times, along with eleven magazine titles, to Newquest Media Group. The various titles continued to be based in the same building. This left SMG as a multimedia organisation embracing television, radio, cinema and billboard advertising and internet services. In September 2004 it was announced that SMG had won planning permission to build a new headquarters for Scottish Television and its 400 staff at Pacific Quay by 2006.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 23
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertising, Building Design Partnership, Evening Times, glass towers, Herald, Internet, magazines, multimedia companies, newspapers, Newsquest Media Group, office buildings, radio, Scottish Media Group, Scottish Television, SMG, STV, Sunday Herald, television studios, Theatre Royal