The former Langside Hill Church, photographed in 2004. The advertisements indicate its new identity - Bar Budda.
Langside Hill Church was completed for the Free Church of Scotland in 1896. It was the last Classical church to be built in Glasgow. Architect Alexander Skirving was a former assistant to Alexander "Greek" Thomson, whose influence can be seen in the Ionic portico. The church closed in 1979.
After suffering for several years from neglect and vandalism, the refurbished building opened in the 1990s as a pub and restaurant, one of several notable church buildings in the city to be saved from demolition by being put to secular use. The original church's stained glass windows are still in place. For several years it was known as the Church on the Hill, one of the specialities being the Monumental burger, a tribute to Battlefield Monument which faces the building. In 2003 it became part of the Bar Budda chain.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 21
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bar Budda, Battlefield Monument, churches, Ionic porticos, Langside Hill Free Church, pillars, public houses, pubs, restaurants, stained glass windows