The gallery saloon at Frasers department store, photographed in 2003. Reminiscent of a bygone age, it is the only such interior left in Glasgow. The ground floor is devoted to menswear, shoes, cosmetics concessions and accessories. Three more floors house collections of designer wear and high street clothing for women and children, furniture, a cappuccino bar and a restaurant.
The Fraser stores dynasty was founded in 1849 when Hugh Fraser went into partnership with James Arthur. Arthur & Fraser was a retail drapery store on the first floor of a mansion on the east side of Buchanan Street. In 1947 Hugh Fraser, grandson of the founder, floated House of Fraser as a public company and began a period of expansion. The rival stores of McDonalds and Wylie & Lochhead, on the west side of Buchanan Street, were acquired in 1951 and 1957 respectively. In 1975 their combined store was renamed Frasers and the original store of that name, across the street, was closed.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 14
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Arthur & Fraser, balconies, chandeliers, clothing, cosmetics, department stores, drapers, drapery, fashions, Frasers, furniture, galleries, glass roofs, House of Fraser, McDonalds, restaurants, shopping, shops, Wylie & Lochhead