Central Gurdwara Singh Sabha, or Sikh Temple, in Berkeley Street, photographed in 2003. The building had previously been associated with the army for many years, having served as a drill hall and as a base for several army battalions.
This is one of four places of worship in Glasgow serving a Sikh population of over 10,000. Most are in families originating from the Punjab, who came to the city in the decades following the granting of independence to India and the foundation of Pakistan in 1947.
In 2003 plans were announced for a £10 million Sikh temple to be built in Berkeley Street, on derelict ground opposite the Henry Wood Hall. The domed building will be one of Glasgow's biggest public buildings and the first purpose-built Sikh temple in Glasgow, capable of accommodating 1,500 worshippers. As well as the temple, the building will also contain classrooms, a library, offices and a ceremonial pool. Funds for the building will be raised by the Sikh community.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 12
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
British Army, drill halls, gurdwaras, Henry Wood Hall, immigrants, immigration, Indians, Pakistanis, Sikhism, Sikhs, Singh Saba, South Asians, temples