The main entrance in Renfrew Street to Glasgow School of Art, photographed in 2003.
Glasgow School of Art was founded in 1845, based at 116 Ingram Street. Additional space was quickly acquired in Montrose Street to cope with heavy demand for student places. In 1869 the School moved to a corner of the McLellan Galleries, the buildings on Sauchiehall Street erected in 1855 which accommodated the city's art collection.
Under director Francis ("Fra") Newbery, the School moved to a new purpose-built building on Renfrew Street, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Mackintosh heralded the birth of a new style in 20th century European architecture with his designs in 1896, and the new art school building was completed in 1909.
In 2004 the School of Art is home to an international community of 1,600 students and 400 staff, with over 12 per cent of the student population coming from overseas. There are ten specialist fine art or design departments, as well as the respected Mackintosh School of Architecture. Innovations such as the Digital Design Studio have ensured that the School's reputation remains high.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 10
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architecture, art nouveau, art schools, artists, designers, Digital Design Studio, fine art, Glasgow School of Art, Mackintosh School of Architecture, McLellan Galleries, students