A kitchen in a new four-storey tenement flat built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Mansewood, in 1952. The equipment illustrated was typical of kitchen installations in many council properties at the time.
With a view to post-war planning for housing, the Government sent out a questionnaire to local authorities in 1942 regarding essential fittings for council houses. Glasgow Corporation's response with regard to kitchens was: "cupboards for crockery, food etc; larder (with slate slab); shelves for cooking pots; accommodation for brushes and cleaning materials; cooker - either gas or electric; fixture for wringer; clothes drier (pulley from ceiling); hooks for kitchen utensils; plug for electric iron; gas-fitted wash boiler; combined circulating hot water tank and cistern; chromium plated taps; refrigerator". Everything but the kitchen sink!
The council estate at Mansewood was built in the early 1950s. It covered what had previously been a largely rural area to the south of Pollokshaws up to the boundary with Renfrewshire.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
cookers, council houses, flats, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, interiors, kitchens, sinks, taps, tenements