New flats for single persons built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Elliston Drive in Priesthill, in 1952. Built in a commanding position on the highest point of the Drive, the flats marked the completion of the housing development at Priesthill.
The block illustrated was planned in the shape of the letter "U" and contained sixty-four small self-contained flat units for single women. Each flat had a living room, bed alcove, kitchen, bathroom, fuel store and cupboard accommodation. There were, in addition, a three-apartment caretaker's flat and a common room.
Access to the flats was by means of balconies placed on the internal side of the building. The balconies were served by three staircases, entered from the centre and from the side wings. French windows in the upper living rooms gave access to private balconies, which provided the buildings with a distinctive and attractive façade. Space heating and hot water were supplied from a coal fire in each living room.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
balconies, council houses, flatlets, flats, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, single women, tenements