New three-storey tenement flats built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Fyvie Avenue, Eastwood, in 1951. The outside walls are finished with pebble-faced pre-cast concrete blocks. Balconies give access to two flats on each floor, with the stair at the front of the building. Casting a shadow over the flats are trees lining Thornliebank Road.
The Eastwood Scheme consisted of 357 flats in blocks of three and four storeys, in an area between Thornliebank Road and the Auldhouse Burn. The ground floor has two three-apartment flats, with two four-aparment flats on the upper floors. The flats at Fyvie Avenue were awarded the Saltire Society's 1951 Commendation for Flats.
In the 19th century the parish of Eastwood, originally the area of the wood to the east of Paisley Abbey, covered a large part of east Renfrewshire including Pollokshaws, Shawlands, Giffnock and Thornliebank. The part of the parish within the burgh of Pollokshaws was added to Glasgow in 1912. The southern part remained in Renfrewshire, in the area known as Eastwood District from 1975 to 1996, and East Renfrewshire from 1996.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
Auldhouse Burn, awards, balconies, council houses, flats, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, Saltire Society, tenements, trees