New three-storey and two-storey tenement flats built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department on the north side of Paisley Road West (in the foreground) at Traquair Drive, Cardonald, photographed in 1951. The blocks illustrated consist of sixteen flats, ten of four apartments and six of three apartments.
The outer walls are faced with pebble-faced blocks. Balconies are steel, painted blue, and the roof is covered with brown interlocking plain tiles. The scheme was built in under twelve months by the Direct Labour Organisation, starting in October 1949.
The original Traquair Drive Scheme, containing forty-two houses, was completed in 1948. It lies behind the block illustrated, and its close proximity necessitated the building being reduced to two storeys at one end.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
balconies, council houses, Direct Labour Organisation, flats, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, tenements, tiles