The first phase of Knightswood Community Centre, at the time of its opening in 1950. The east wing, right, opened as a temporary library, while the main part of what was the Youth Welfare Building included a small hall with committee rooms and kitchen facilities.
The citizens of Knightswood had a long time to wait for their community centre. The first houses were occupied there in 1925. Work finally began on the new community centre, regarded at the time as one of the most ambitious projects of its kind in Britain, in 1938. But work was suspended in 1940, for the duration of the war.
Renewed demand for community facilities after the war faced the hurdle of financial restrictions. As a compromise, the smaller section facing Dykebar Avenue was completed in 1950, as illustrated. It was not until 1971 that Knightswood Community Centre was completed, with new larger community facilities and a new library and swimming pool. In 1973-1974 Knightswood Library had the third-highest number of issues in the city, after the libraries at Cardonald and Partick.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
community centres, community libraries, halls, housing estates, housing schemes, Knightswood Community Centre, Knightswood Library, swimming pools, Youth Welfare Building