Milton water tower, photographed in 1949. In the background are the steel-framed BISF houses that were built for Glasgow Corporation by the British Iron and Steel Federation. A paved terrace with seating surrounds the base of the tower. The open space was subsequently developed as a public garden.
The water tower stood on the highest ground in the area. Because of its prominence, the architects attempted to design a structure which would serve its practical function as a water tower but also as a point of interest on the landscape.
The tower was 19 feet in diameter and 55 feet high and carried 24,300 gallons of water in a tank over 21 feet in depth. The walls were made of reinforced concrete, between 8 and 12 inches thick. A narrow stair gave access to the roof and to the tank.
The rapid increase in the number of housing schemes in the post-war years provided a challenge to the Corporation's Water Department to ensure that they were adequately supplied with water. Other areas where large water towers became a prominent landmark included Pollok, Priesthill, Cranhill, Garthamlock, Drumchapel and Springburn. Most were eventually replaced by reservoirs.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
BISF, British Iron and Steel Federation, council houses, housing estates, housing schemes, landmarks, reinforced concrete, reservoirs, Water Department, water supply, water towers