New terraced houses built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Kempsthorn Road, Pollok, in 1950. The end houses are the five-apartment Type Z, flanking four four-apartment Type D houses. The normal arrangement of these types was slightly altered in this particular block to allow frequent stepping of the floor levels on account of the sloping site. In the foreground is a state-of-the-art lighting standard, of the type frequently erected in post-war housing schemes throughout the city.
Kempsthorn Road was part of the third and final phase of the Greater Pollok development, which took place in the years following the Second World War. The land had been acquired by Glasgow Corporation in 1935 from the landowner Sir John Stirling Maxwell, who took a keen interest in the development of the estate.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
council houses, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, lamp posts, street lamps, terraced houses, Type D cottages, Type Z cottages