Newly-completed shops built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Yoker Mill Road, 1949. The structure was steel-framed with concrete floor and roof and the walls were finished in facing brick. The piers between shops were of precast concrete, cast at the Department's Precasting Factory in Tollcross. Teak was used in the windows, with the lettering in steel that was enamelled red.
The Housing Department embarked on a major programme of shop building during the post-war years to meet the needs of new housing schemes. The Yoker Mill Road shopping centre consisted of four single and four double shops. Others were under construction at Pollok, Priesthill, Balornock, Garscube and Milton.
The Clydebank Co-operative Society occupied several of the units shown here. The Society had outlets in Scotstoun, Knightswood and Drumchapel, as well as in Yoker.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
Clydebank Co-operative Society, concrete, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, Precasting Factory, shopping centres, shops, steel, streetscenes