New terraced cottages built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Glenlora Drive, Priesthill, in 1948. The cottages shown are Type D, generally regarded as the most popular of the various council housing types, with its own front door and garden. Sometimes a mix of more than one house type would be found in a single terrace.
Type D has a living room and kitchen on the ground floor. The bathroom is placed on a landing two steps up from the ground floor, giving additional cloakroom and pram space in the hall. Upstairs are three bedrooms, each with a wardrobe. There is a linen cupboard on the upper floor landing.
The Priesthill scheme was built in the years following the Second World War, as part of the third and final phase of the Greater Pollok development. In the latter years of the 20th century living conditions in Priesthill declined along with the housing stock, and many people left the area. But refurbishment of the houses in the early 21st century gave the area a facelift, with the hope of better days to come.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
council houses, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, terraced houses, Type D cottages