Lancefield Street Woodworking Factory, photographed in 1947. Owned by Glasgow Corporation's Housing Department, the factory was set up in 1937 to manufacture joinery fitments for Direct Labour Organisation contracts.
The factory was seen as an important link in the construction chain, with builders on the site having to be supplied with all the joinery components required in proper sequence and at the right time. To this end, the factory was equipped with modern electrically-powered woodworking plant including planing, moulding, morticing and sanding machines, as well as a complete range of mechanical saws.
Fifty men were employed at Lancefield Street, mainly joiners producing kitchen and living room components, pot racks, cupboards, and many other miscellaneous items of joinery required by the various Direct Labour schemes. However, the Lancefield Street factory lacked the capacity to produce all the woodwork required by the Direct Labour Organisation in the post-war housing drive.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
carpenters, carpentry, council houses, Direct Labour Organisation, factories, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, housing estates, housing schemes, joiners, joinery, Lancefield Street Woodworking Factory, machinery, saws, wood, workshops