New Type N cottage flats built by Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Glenlora Terrace, Priesthill, in 1948. The flats illustrated are stepped, to allow for the sloping ground.
The Type N flatted block contains four four-apartment houses. The entrances to the two ground floor houses are at the front, and the upper-floor tenants enter from the sides of the block. Each house has three bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom and hall. The living room originally contained an open fire with a back boiler, while the kitchen had a wash-boiler, a tub and sink, a cooker, larder and broom cupboard. Fuel was stored under the stair to the upper floor, with access from the outside.
These blocks featured prominently in Glasgow's post-war housing schemes. They were economical to build, taking up less space than a terrace of four cottages. Compared to tenement flats, cottage flats had the advantage for the tenant of independent access, and a small plot of ground to cultivate.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cottage flats, council houses, flatted blocks, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Deparment, housing estates, housing schemes, Type N