The coat of arms of the Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow, registered with the Lord Lyon in 1912. The traditional symbols of Glasgow - the bell, the tree, the fish, the bird and the ring - are present around the figure of Saint Kentigern, his right hand raised in the act of benediction and with a crosier in his left hand.
Court practitioners were known as procurators in the 18th century, so when a society of Scots lawyers practising in the Glasgow area was granted a charter in 1796, they chose the title Faculty of Procurators. The Faculty established standards of practice and acted as a charity for members and their families in need. The building occupied by the Faculty in St George's Place, now Nelson Mandela Place, opened in 1854. The "Royal" title was added in 1950.
The Royal Faculty of Procurators continues to serve the needs of the legal profession in Glasgow and West Central Scotland. It provides members with access to a large law library with significant holdings, an education programme, the services of an auditor and a venue in the city centre, as well as acting as a representative body for solicitors practising in the Glasgow area.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 327148
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coats of arms, crosiers, heraldry, law, lawyers, libraries, Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow, saints, solicitors