The coat of arms of the Merchants' House, registered with the Lord Lyon in 1912. The worldwide connections of Glasgow merchants are symbolised by the ship in full sail and by the globe with the traditional symbols of the city - the bell, the tree, the fish, the bird and the ring - inside. The Latin motto Toties redeuntis eodem means "So often returning to the same place".
Glasgow's Merchants' House was formed as a result of a Letter of Guildry in 1605, which regulated both the city's craftsmen (in the form of the Trades House), and its merchants (in the form of Merchants' House). Led by the Dean of Guild, the Merchants' House retained considerable privileges and influence until 1833. Activities in which it played a leading role included the deepening of the Clyde and the establishment of the Necropolis, as well as the promotion of trade and the encouragement of links with the outside world.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 327148
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coats of arms, Dean of Guild, globes, guilds, heraldry, Letter of Guildry, merchants, Merchants' House, mottoes, Necropolis, River Clyde, ships, trade