The coat of arms of the Burgh of Pollokshields. As with neighbouring Pollokshaws, the arms are derived from those of the influential local landowner family, the Maxwells of Pollok. However, a castle (probably to represent Haggs Castle) was added instead of Pollokshaws' oak tree.
Plans for the development of the area began in 1849, with Sir John Maxwell keeping close control over the conditions. The area to the west of Shields Road was reserved for high quality villas, with no commercial development allowed. The eastern part of Pollokshields saw tenements and shops being constructed.
In 1876 the villa area was declared to be the Burgh of Pollokshields. The original application had been for the whole of Pollokshields, but the residents of the section to the east of Shields Road decided not to join. East Pollokshields became a separate burgh in 1880. In 1890 Pollokshields Burgh Hall was opened by Sir John Stirling Maxwell. Both Pollokshields and East Pollokshields were incorporated into the city of Glasgow the following year.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 477590
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
annexations, boundary extensions, burghs, castles, coats of arms, Haggs Castle, heraldry, Maxwell family of Pollok, Pollokshields Burgh Hall, saltires, villas