The coat of arms of the Burgh of Pollokshaws. The arms are derived from those of the Maxwell family of Pollok, influential landowners in the area, with the addition of an oak tree which is a reference to the word "shaws", meaning "woods". There is a Latin motto associated with the coat of arms, Labor vincit - "work overcomes".
The weaving village of Pollokshaws was granted a charter making it a burgh of barony in 1812, governed by a provost, a bailie and six councillors. It became a Police Burgh in 1858 and Pollokshaws Burgh Hall was opened in 1898, having been built and paid for by Sir John Stirling Maxwell. Pollokshaws ceased to be an independent burgh in 1912, when it was annexed by Glasgow.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 477590
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
annexations, boundary extensions, burghs, coats of arms, heraldry, Maxwell family of Pollok, mottoes, oak trees, Pollokshaws Burgh Hall, saltires