The 5,450-ton Dido class cruiser HMS Phoebe, built by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Launched in 1939, she was completed in 1940. During the Second World War, Fairfield completed one battleship, one aircraft carrier, two cruisers, eighteen destroyers and two sloops for the Royal Navy.
In April 1941 HMS Phoebe joined the Mediterranean fleet at Alexandria. She participated in the evacuations of Greece and Crete, and accompanied Malta convoys. In June she covered operations against Vichy-French Syria as flagship. She was torpedoed twice, in 1941 off Tobruk and in 1942 off French Equatorial Africa. On both occasions repairs were carried out in New York.
Phoebe returned to the Mediterranean in 1943, operated in the Aegean and then supported the Anzio landings in January 1944. Later that year she sailed to join the 5th Cruiser Squadron in the Eastern Fleet, and for the remainder of the war operated in the Indian Ocean.
HMS Phoebe was decommissioned in 1951, and scrapped at Blyth, Northumberland, in 1956.
Reference: Mitchell Library, G 623.809 FAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cruisers, Eastern Fleet, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, Phoebe, Royal Navy, Second World War, shipbuilders, shipyards, warships