John Honeyman (1831-1914), architect.
Born in Glasgow, Honeyman set up an architectural practice in the city in 1862, one of his first works being the notable Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church on Great Western Road. Other prominent Glasgow buildings with which he is associated include North Park House, the Ca' D'Oro Building, Trinity Congregational Church and numerous schools such as Rockvilla and Burnbank Primaries.
In 1889 Honeyman went into partnership with John Keppie in the firm Honeyman & Keppie. A design by one of the firm's juniors, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, won the contract to build the Glasgow School of Art.
Honeyman's interests were widespread. He published papers on architectural, archaeological, social, economic and sanitary subjects, and he invented several sanitary appliances. A noted antiquarian, he was a founder member of the Glasgow Archaeological Society in 1885. He was President of the Glasgow Insitute of Architects, and was a governor of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.
Reference: GC f920.04 GLA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
antiquarians, architects, Burnbank Primary School, Ca' D'Oro, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow Archaeological Society, Glasgow Institute of Architects, Glasgow School of Art, Honeyman & Keppie, inventors, Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church, North Park House, Rockvilla Primary School, sanitary appliances, Trinity Congregational Church